STRICTLY’s AJ Odudu has revealed how she nearly quit TV for good after being branded “the black woman with the dodgy accent” left her traumatised.
AJ, who endured fixed racist slurs as a toddler rising up in Blackburn, was hit by a barrage of on-line hate following her TV debut on Big Brother’s Bit On The Side.
The Strictly star was focused because of her Northern accentCredit: Rex
The abuse, which centered on her Northern accent, was so intense that Channel 4 workers suggested her to get elocution classes to assist “soften” her voice.
AJ recalled: “It was sensible however with that publicity comes lots of strain and lots of criticism.
“I keep in mind folks tweeting, ‘Who is that black woman with that dodgy accent’ and, ‘Why does she sound like that?’ That made me really feel so insecure (because) folks have been commenting on issues I had no actual management over.
“And it didn’t assist that somebody internally stated, ‘AJ, we predict it’s best to get some assist along with your voice. Maybe you may communicate clearer and we may soften your accent’.
“All of my insecurities have been being strengthened by the workforce that have been meant to be supporting me. Then, when my contract wasn’t renewed, that was powerful.
“TV is one of these industries the place you don’t actually get instructed why one thing hasn’t labored out.
“So you might be left questioning, ‘Was it my accent? Was it the best way I seemed?’ I didn’t work in TV for years after. It was so traumatic.
All of my insecurities have been being strengthened by the workforce that have been meant to be supporting me.
“It felt prefer it wasn’t my accent that was the issue, it was my accent and my look mixed. Kind of like, ‘We can take care of a Northern accent however not a Northern accent on a black lady’.”
Read our Strictly live blog for the newest updates…
Speaking on the Nobody Told Me podcast, AJ went on: “Looking again, I’m so proud I’ve managed to return this far by staying true to myself and never altering. Keeping my accent, retaining my opinions, retaining my voice.”
AJ will seem on this 12 months’s version of Strictly alongside newly introduced stars John Whaite, Robert Webb and Rhys Stephenson.
We can’t wait to see her shine on the dancefloor.
Lady Bin Baga
NOT many celebs may look glamorous strolling previous a pile of bin baggage . . . however Lady Gaga manages it with her trademark type and style.
Far from wanting trashy, the Born This Way singer struck an elegant pose in her lemon-sherbert skintight costume, sun shades and killer heels as she stepped out in New York.
Lady Gaga seemed as glam as ever…regardless of the backgroundCredit: Getty
Lady Gaga is starring in upcoming Hollywood style flick House Of Gucci and she definitely appears to be like the half. With her style sense, big-screen success must be within the bag.
It’s Dua on the double
WE thought we have been seeing double when Dua Lipa posted these black bikini pics with a pal on Instagram.
The Hotter Than Hell singer lived as much as her lyrics as she loved a vaycay away within the sunshine, additionally sharing pictures of herself in a blue swimsuit.
Dua Lipa posed with her lookalike pal on holidayCredit: INSTAGRAM/DUA LIPA
Dua whisked a number of buddies away to a thriller location the place she loved some well-deserved downtime.
From waltzing to Matilda
STRICTLY star Aljaz Skorjanec is celebrating after touchdown a job within the much-anticipated Netflix remake of household favorite Matilda.
The pro dancer quietly auditioned for a spot within the star-studded forged of the movie, based mostly on the stage manufacturing of the Roald Dahl traditional children’ e book.
And sources say he was thrilled to be taught his bid had been profitable.
The gig will see him carry out alongside Emma Thompson – who has been forged because the terrifying Miss Trunchbull – and Alisha Weir as Matilda.
The movie, which additionally stars Andrea Riseborough and Stephen Graham, is due for launch in 2022.
And filming is because of start later this 12 months after the unique July begin date was pushed again by a constructive case of coronavirus among the many workforce. Our supply stated: “Aljaz is delighted to have been forged and may’t wait to get began on set.
“It’s a very thrilling mission for him to be concerned in. It goes to be a really busy few months for him.
“But fortunately, even with the Covid delays there gained’t be any clashes along with his Strictly schedule.”
- REALITY TV darling Megan McKenna says she was so accident-prone on Celebrity MasterChef that she might have fed judges Gregg Wallace and John Torode her personal pores and skin. The singer, who’s showing on the brand new collection of the BBC1 present tomorrow night time, instructed us: “Cooking is harmful. I burned my hand, reduce myself and grated my finger so I believe I fed Gregg and John pores and skin with their meals. I don’t suppose they observed, although.” Essex-born Megan can also be hoping to teach viewers about gluten-free cooking after dwelling with coeliac illness. Naturally slim, Megan provides that she nonetheless will get skinny-shamed on-line. She stated: “The trolls who choose on me name me anorexic, skeletal, too skinny. It’s irritating. Fat-shaming isn’t allowed however everybody thinks it’s OK to skinny-shame.”
- MAX George has put the brakes on proposing to girlfriend Stacey Giggs, as he doesn’t need to put strain on their relationship. The ex-Wanted singer has been courting former footballer Ryan Giggs’ ex-wife for 3 years. He resides with the mum of two in Manchester. Max, who’s the host of Hits Radio’s new Friday Night Hits present from 7pm to 10pm, instructed us: “We’re so chilled and pleased with one another, we don’t need to put strain on altering it. We haven’t been capable of go on many holidays but so we have to get a couple of below our belt first.” He added: “If we now have children it could be wonderful.”
Priya swapping virus for villa
PRIYA GOPALDAS has opened up about working gruelling hours on the entrance line of the NHS battling Covid-19.
The Love Island bombshell’s medical course was placed on maintain whereas the pandemic raged, main Priya to work as a volunteer at an intensive care unit (ICU) battling the virus.
She instructed us: “I really feel like this 12 months has been so intense because of Covid. I used to be working in ICU for the entire of February.
“You would come again after each shift exhausted, so there positively wasn’t time for courting or relationships.
“It was powerful with the lengthy hours however I discover it so rewarding and it’s made me actually resilient.”
Priya makes her debut within the villa tonight. She added: “I believed it was a problem, one thing totally different. I’m single and I’m in search of love.
“I believed it’d take me out of my consolation zone.
“I’m nearing the top of medical college, so I’ve acquired my profession on monitor. Now I simply want a person!”
Shannon’s in cost
LOVE Island evictee Shannon Singh poses nude with the phrases “Mine” scrawled throughout her pores and skin in a bid to reclaim her picture.
The former glamour model says she felt exploited after a photographer she labored with as a teenager bought photos with out her permission. Now
Shannon Singh is reclaiming her picture after being exploited by a photographer
Shannon desires to encourage younger fashions to talk up for themselves and be absolutely conscious of their rights.
She instructed us: “Some pictures got here out I’m not proud of, taken after I was younger and naive. I used to be exploited by the photographer.
“I’ve owned it now however I need to push out the message that younger fashions ought to know what they’re entering into.
“When they signal a launch, they’re signing their rights away. And as soon as one thing is on the web, you may’t get it again.”
Shannon, a Scot of Indian descent, additionally instructed how she has come below strain to cover her physique from view – revealing she has even obtained loss of life threats.
But she is now decided to not let trolls win, including: “In this point in time, men and women ought to be capable of be horny, be assured and be who they’re. They ought to be capable of have a good time their our bodies.”
We couldn’t agree extra.
- JESSIE J felt like she had “gained a contest” when she recorded Bang Bang with Nicki Minaj and Ariana Grande. She apologised to Nicki after wrongly claiming that she “begged” to be on the track.
- CONGRATS to Jake Quickenden who’s engaged to his girlfriend Sophie Church. The former X Factor star shared the completely satisfied information on Instagram with a smooching snap and the caption: “She stated sure!”
- MAYA JAMA had bespoke body-defining therapy on her abs from skincare skilled Shane Cooper final week. It makes use of electromagnetic waves to deal with physique fats.
- LISA FAULKNER has joined forces with Volvic Touch Of Fruit to create the last word picnic menu. She stated: “Nothing beats an English picnic with strawberries.”
- BROOKLYN BECKHAM’S fiance Nicola Peltz has revealed she swears by Rubis Tweezers to create the right bushy eyebrow.
Lads: We can not Whaite
IT might be blood on the dancefloor between Strictly’s male professional dancers as they’re all determined to be half of the present’s first same-sex male pairing with chef John Whaite.
We hear Graziano Di Prima, newcomer Kai Widdrington and Johannes Radebe are all lobbying to get the gig as they need to make UK TV historical past.
A telly supply stated: “The dancers noticed how a lot glory and a focus Katya Jones and Nicola Adams acquired final 12 months and so they desire a piece of it, plus it will likely be thrilling for them to work on new same-sex choreography.”
Nadiya’s getting a fella
AFTER lacking out on a celeb accomplice final 12 months as a consequence of a slimmed-down forged, we are able to reveal Nadiya Bychkova is again within the operating to get her palms on the Glitterball trophy.
Bosses have instructed the gorgeous Ukrainian professional dancer she can be paired with one of the male celebs this collection.
A telly supply instructed us: “She was dissatisfied she didn’t get a accomplice however understood, as there have been fewer celebs collaborating.
“She’s been coaching up and has extra vitality than ever. She’s raring to go.”
Who would be the fortunate fella?
AJ Odudu is revealed because the third Strictly contestant on the One Show